garlic chutney recipe by Navanitha B Shetty
Garlic Chutney, which is also known as ‘Lasoon Chutney’ is a simple chutney and yet comes out very well. This classic chutney made from garlic (known as Lasoon in Hindi) tastes good and also good for your heart. We can use it as a paste with butter to make a garlic bread. Here is the recipe, easy as abc and with very few ingredients!
1 tsp- vegetable oil
10 cloves garlic
1 cup dry coconut shreds/ cobra
1 tsp cumin seed
3 – 6 red chilles preferably use the Coarse Chilli powder for better taste
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
pinch of sugar
1. Grate the dry coconut. Start with toasting coconut in a kadai on medium heat until light brown. Remove. Cool.
2. Dry roast the jeera. Cool.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil in the kadai and add garlic cloves. Saute them until just golden and remove.
4. Now combine all the roasted ingredients, tamarind, salt, sugar and chilli powder. Using morter and pestle, pound everything into a coarse mixture.
5. Garlic chutney adds a delicious twist to any meal – be it a simple meal like dal-rice and chapati/bhakri or even idlis/dosas. This chutney also tastes delicious in sandwiches. …possibilities are endless. This chutney keeps well in an airtight container and can keep for several weeks.
6. The colour is appetising, the aroma heavenly, all in all highly recommended.
Mmm…..!!! Sounds hot and spicy and love the way it looks. Fiery!!