2 cups Raw Rice
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 tbspn sugar
3/4 tspn dry yeast
1 egg or 1 egg white
Salt to taste
1. Soak the rice for 3 hours.
2. Grind the rice together with yeast, egg white, sugar and salt, adding coconut milk.
3. The batter should be fine and thick (like idli batter)
4. Keep for fermenting overnight.
5. Use an appam pan (deep centred frying pan) for frying appams.
6. First fry an egg and put that in a small cloth.
7. Use this for greasing the pan.
8. Put a laddle of batter and turn it around to form a thin layer and thick in the centre.
9. Keep covered on medium fire.
10. Remove and cool.
– Recipe by Silvia Concessao, Mangalore