‘Pesarattu’ a delicacy of Andra Pradesh, is made with green gram(Pesalu) and is traditionally served with ginger chutney.It is easy to prepare and very nutritious.It is a very popular breakfast dish.
1) Green Moong- 1 coffee mug/1 glass/1 ½ teacup
2) Raw rice- 3 tsps
3) Ginger- 1inch piece
4) Cummin seeds- 1tsp
5) Green Chillies-3-4 nos
1) onion -finely cut
1) Soak green gram (Moong) and rice together for 5-6 hours.
2) Grind it to a smooth paste along with ginger, cumin seeds , green chillies, salt.
3) Heat tava , pour a ladle of batter in the centre and spread it in a circle from centre towards edge of tava.
4) Drizzle half a teaspoon of oil around the dosa.
5) Sprinkle the finely chopped onions , on the top of dosa as it gets done and press it lightly with a ladle.
6) After it is cooked, flip it over to the other side and cook till done.
7) Serve hot with chutney.
1) Tamrind- size of a big gooseberry
2) Ginger- 10 gms
3) Red chillies- 11 nos
4) Fenugreek-1/2 tsp
5) Mustard- 1tsp
6) Black gram- 2tsp
7) Turmeric- ¼ tsp
8) Asafoetida- 1/8 tsp
9) Curry leaves- handful
11) Oil–1—2 tsps
12) Salt- to taste
1) Heat oil in a kadai/wok on a medium flame, fry the methi seeds and the urad dal.
2) As and when the colour changes, add to it mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
3) When the mustard seeds starts spluttering add the red chillis (cut into pieces) and the curry leaves.
4) Grind all the above fried ingredients with,ginger, turmeric powder, jaggery, tamrind , and salt to a fine paste.
5) The tasty ginger chutney is ready.
– Recipe by Ritha Pai Prabhu