BOLENJEER / SILVER FISH CURRY – Recipe by Navanitha B Shetty.
50 Bolenjeer / Silver Fish , cleaned and cut
3 tbsp coconut oil ( V usually use coconut oil in Mangalore ) or vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
salt to taste
To Grind :
1 coconut, grated
3/4 tbsp turmeric powder
12 flakes garlic
20 dried red chillies, roasted
4 tbsp coriander seeds, dry roasted
2 tbsp peppercorns, dry roasted
1 tsp jeera, dry roasted
1/2 tsp methi seeds, dry roasted
1/2 tsp oama seeds, dry roasted – ajwain/ ova seeds
1 large onion, roughly chopped
11/2 tbsp tamrind paste or to taste
1. Grind all the above ingredients to a smooth paste adding enough water to facilitate grinding.
2. Clean the grinder with 1 cup water and add to the ground paste. Get a medium thick consistency. More water can be added later on.
3. Heat oil in a flat vessel and fry the onion till light brown. Add the ground masala & boil for 10 to 15 min until the raw smell disappears. Check the taste & the gravy thickness.
4. Lower the flame and gently drop the fish pieces. Cook over low flame till done. Approx 5 min.
5. Serve hot with rice!
* This gravy is usually not cooked ‘very spicy’ . We keep the ‘rasa’ a bit bland.