MARWAI or KOIYOLU RASA / SHELL FISH RASA recipe by Navanitha B Shetty
Get ready for some steamy, tangy and delicious Shell Fish Curry. This is perfect for a quiet summer evening after a long days work, best accompanied with Brown Rice.
1. 200 medium sized Marvai
2. 25 – 30 dry red chillies
3. 2 tbsp coriander seeds
4. 1 tsp cummin seeds
5. 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
6. a pinch of oama ( Optional)
7. 1 tsp peppercorns
8. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
9. 8 flakes of garlic
10. 1 tsp tamrind paste
11. 1 coconut, grated
12. 1 medium onion, chopped
13. salt to taste
14. 2 tbsp coconut oil or any other vegetable oil
15. 1 onion chopped
How to prepare clams?
1. First, clean the outside of the clams thoroughly, since clams naturally burrow in the sand, they need to be purged of grit lest crunching down on grains of sand diminish your enjoyment of this flavorful seafood. Wash at least 3 times.
2. Do not wash after opening it.
3. Break the shell into two & use the part with the flesh in it.
4. If clams are tough to open discard them.
1. Fry the ingredients 2 to 8 in a little oil.
2. Grind the fried ingredients along with ingredients 9, 10 & 11 to a fine paste.
3. Add 1 cup of water while grinding. Remove. Rinse the grinder with 1 cup of water & collect this masala water & add to the ground paste.
4. Take a cooking pot, add the ground masala, onion, salt & bring to a boil.
5. Add the cleaned clams & cook till done.
6. Tempering : Take a small pan & heat coconut oil. Add the onion & fry till brown.
7. Pour over the clam curry & cover immediately.
8. Remove from gas & serve with rice.
* To make MARWAI PUNDI
Prepare very small pundis and the above gravy shud be little watery, so that the pundi absorbs it.
* Clams can also be prepared with Mangalore Chilli Masala Powder. Skip the first step. Add chilli powder 2 the second step and continue.