200 gm button mushrooms (any type you can), cleaned washed and chopped into 4 each
1 dry red chilly cut into two
2 tomatoes chopped
2 capsicum chopped (optional)
1 onion chopped into small pieces
1 garlic chopped
1/4 cup water
5-6 cashew nuts
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
To Make Green Paste
Small bunch of coriander chopped
1 cup grated coconut (loosely filled)
4 green chillies
4-5 cashew nuts
3 cloves garlic
water as needed
• Prepare the green paste with less water. The mixture should be thick and smooth.
• Heat oil in a kadai /medium skillet and splutter mustard seeds, dry chilly and curry leaves.
• Add the chopped onion and sauté till it turn light brown.Add the chopped garlic and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
• Add the chopped tomato and capsicum.
• Now mix in the coriander-coconut green mixture along with some water washing the grinder. Mix well with a spoon till the raw smell disappears.
• Add salt, sugar, cashew nuts and mushrooms. Mix well till the masala is well coated over mushrooms. Add water. Bring to a boil and cook in medium flame till the mushrooms are cooked and gravy thickens.
• Serve hot with Roti/chappathi/bread.It’s a good combo even with rice !
Recipe by : Anusha Hegde