PRAWN MASALA – Recipe by Reshma Fareed, Sharjah, UAE
1 Kg big size prawns
For the masala: (to be ground thick )
10 dry Kashmiri chillis (more if you desire)
2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
1-2 green chillies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 spring of curry leaves
1 tbsp of coriander leaves
1 spring of mint
1 large onion
For the seasoning / tempering:
1 Large onion finely sliced
Few springs of curry leaves
2-3 tbsp of coconut oil
1. Clean the prawns, just cut of the tip of the head and keep the shell on, to devein the prawns just insert a tooth pick in between the shell and flesh on the top and just remove the vein out. The prawn is tasty when cooked with the shell on.
2. In a pan heat the coconut oil and fry the sliced onion and curry leaves to light golden.
3. Now add the ground masala and start sautéing it on low heat, it might take 5 mins. The raw smell of the masala should disappear.
4. Once you see the oil separating from the masala add the prawns, see that all the prawns are coated with the masala and then cook it for about five mins. (Shelled prawns take just three mins to cook.) .
6. Serve is hot steaming rice.
7. The cooking of the prawns could be done in an oven too after the masala has been sautéed .
* The same recipe can be followed 2 prepare squid, crabs and shell fish too!