Udupi Brahmin Style Surna (elephant yam)puddi sukke recipe :
- coriander seeds : 1tsp
- urad dal : 1tsp
- turmeric powder : 1/2tbsp
- byadagi dried red chillies : 8-9
- tamarind : small lemon sized ball
- grated coconut : 1cup
- chana dal : 1/2tsp
- curry leaves : 1 spring
- chopped elephant yam / suran : 2 cups
- powdered jaggery : 2tsp
- In a pan heat one spoon oil,add one spoon coriander seeds, one spoon urad dal,little turmeric powder, 8-9 red byadagi chillies and fry for a minute.
- Then grind it along with small piece of tamarind without adding water,then to this add one cup grated coconut and again grind it without adding water , keep a side.
- Next in a kadai heat some oil, add half spoon urad dal, half spoon chana dal, some curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Then add 2 cups of chopped and cooked suran ,2 spoon powdered jaggery, salt,grounded masala(don’t add water) and mix well.
- Cook it for 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- surna puddi sukke is ready to be served.
Recipe courtesy : Sheetal Kamath