- Raw rice 2 cup
- coconut 1/2 cup
- Ripe small banana (palayankodan) 2 nos
- jagery 1 cup
- coconut bits 1/4 cup
- cardoman 4 pods
- salt pinch
- coconut oil or ghee, for frying
- water 1/4 cup.
- Soak rice for 5 hours after that drain the rice and coarsely grind it with scrap coconut with lil water.
- batter should be thick. add jagery ripe bananas mash well add cardoman powder pinch of salt and mix well . Keep this batter for 1-2 hour in a tight container. In the meantime if the batter has thicken up or is too tight, add milk to make it again to a thick batter consistency.
- Place the Unniyappam pan on the stove and pour equal amounts of ghee and coconut oil into each rounds. Each rounds should be half full.(The level of the oil in the pan will rise with the addition of the batter; consider this when you pour oil into the pan)
- When hot simmer the flame and pour half ladlefuls of batter into each rounds.
- Now increase the fire to medium and allow the appams to cook, pour oil in the rounds whenever needed.
Once cooked, the sides will detach from the pan and will start to rotate in the oil, if not with the help of a fork turn the unniyappam to cook on the other side to a golden color.
- Once the Unniyappam are browned both on the bottoms and tops, remove them from the pan using a metal skewer or with a pair of forks/ tongs.
Recipe By : Sobha P Shenoi
like our facebook page for more GSB Recipes 🙂